Solarize Houston expects its group purchase will achieve for Houstonians a discount on the purchase of solar systems installed at their homes. The program involves:
- Potential participants’ evaluating the suitability of their home for a solar system, including their energy use, layout of their roofs and cost.
- Participants enrolling in the program (There is NO COMMITMENT until the participant actually enters into a contract with the solar installer AND NO COST).
- Qualifying a solar installer based on competitive bids.
- Forming a committee of program enrollees to select the solar installer
- Participants individually finalizing an installment contract with the selected installer.
About Solar Systems:
The websites of trade associations, non-governmental organizations and others contain FAQs and other useful information:
- The Solar Energy Industry Association (“SEIA”)
- Solar Energy Net
- Go Solar California
- About the Solarize concept
- Here is a great short article by American Solar Energy Society about the basics of solar. It provides a good general overview
- Texas Solar Outfitters presentation at Houston Renewable Energy Network on January 14
- pvwatts.nrel.gov has a tool to calculate energy production and costs for solar systems at your site.